Broccoli & Blue Cheese Soup
I am not one for dieting. No-siree. Even in my current post-partum state with a sun-filled holiday on the horizon (EEEEEK BIKINI), my lack of self-control when it comes to food winks at me from the pantry. I have famously lasted all of one hour on the lemon detox diet (blurgh!), and you will never find me eating only various shades of green for the day’s nourishment.
So, plain broccoli soup is ruled out. But, broccoli and blue cheese soup? With a lovely comforting base of potatoes? Well, hello there. Step on up. You are welcome in my kitchen. And my belly.
I originally happened upon this combination during my student days. Yes, I know, what were students doing buying blue cheese? I swapped out onions for shallots to add some sweetness, upped the ante on the garlic and crumbled blue cheese on-top for a garnish. The cheese comes through subtly, giving the soup a richness without overpowering it. Toasted and buttered sourdough on the side rounds it out, because a soup on its own isn’t really a meal in my books.
30 minutes, serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 shallots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 large floury potato
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 600g broccoli
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 100g blue cheese (I used stilton), plus extra for garnishing
1. Melt the butter & oil in a saucepan. Finely slice the shallots & garlic, and fry until lightly browned. Remove about ⅓ from the pan and set aside for a garnish.
2. Peel & dice the potato, and add along with the stock to the pan for about 10 minutes or until soft.
3. Chop up the broccoli, add to the pan and simmer until tender but still bright green.
4. Crumble up the blue cheese. Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk and cheese to it.
5. Add salt & pepper to taste, and then puree the mixture until smooth.
6. Garnish with the shallots & garlic, and some crumbled blue cheese.
With Love, Kate