Asparagus, Ham & Cheese Tart
This fool-proof recipe is one of my favourites for a picnic, weekend snacking or a light dinner with a side salad. From the famed Ripe café in Auckland’s gourmet suburb of Ponsonby, it’s even better on the second day.
10 minutes prep, 45 minutes in the oven. Serves 4.
- 2 sheets (500g) frozen flaky puff pastry
- 4 tsp wholegrain mustard
- ¾ cup (90g) cheddar or tasty cheese
- 10 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
- 100g ham, sliced
- ½ cup (40g) parmesan, grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200℃. Line an oven tray with a sheet of baking paper. Place one sheet of the puff pastry down on the tray, and spread it with 2 tsp of the wholegrain mustard.
2. Sprinkle ¼ cup of the grated cheese over the base layer of pastry. Lay the next pastry layer on top, lining up the edges. Spread with the rest of the mustard, keeping a 1cm border of plain pastry.
3. Lay on the ham and asparagus, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Bake the tart in a hot oven for 35 minutes. Life the pastry base to ensure it’s golden underneath.
With Love, Kate